What was the percentage of corn syrup in your group’s solution
- What was the percentage of corn syrup in your group’s solution?
- Was your corn syrup solution hypotonic, isotonic or hypertonic solution on the egg?
Our corn syrup solution was hypertonic on the egg
- Explain your corn syrup solution’s effect on the egg
Our corn syrup solution drew all the excess water out of the egg, in attempt to balance the concentration of the solution in the egg and outside the egg.
- What is an isotonic solution?
When both solutions have the same concentration and have no need to balance eachother out.
- What effect would an isotonic solution have on the egg? Explain.
An isotonic solution would have no effect to the egg because the concentrations are balanced. Water does not need to leave or enter the egg for any reason so homeostasis is in place.
- What is the approximate percentage of corn syrup that would make an isotonic solution for the egg?
At 40% the egg change in weight was the closest to zero.
- Explain how your group would design an experiment to test question 6
Re attempt the egg experiment with 40% syrup and see how small the change in weight will be to the egg.
- What is the difference between diffusion and osmosis?
Osmosis is specialized to water and only will move water through the membranes, diffusion can occur in any mixture or substance.
- Using your graph, answer the following questions
- What is the percent corn syrup with a 60% change in mass?
100% corn syrup
- What is the percent corn syrup with a 12% change in mass?
5% corn syrup
- What is the change in mass in 55% corn syrup?
18.2g approximately change in mass
- What is the change in mass in 12% corn syrup?
-5.0g approximately change in mas
- What is the change in mass in 94% corn syrup?
-27.5g approximately change in mass
- If the cells in your large intestine (colon) were exposed to a hypertonic solution, what would happen? Explain.
The large intestine would absorb the excess water and give you diarrhea.
- What medical condition would result from question 10?
- If the cells in your large intestine were exposed to a hypotonic solution, what would happen? Explain.
Dehydration, since the solution would invade the cells of the large intestine and water would flow into the solution particles instead of being absorbed into the cells.
- What medical condition would result from question 12?
Dehydration can be caused by free water loss exceed free water intake usually due to excess exercise or disease.