What is descriptive writing?
“Good description is a learned skill. It’s not just a question of how to; it’s a question of how much to.” - Stephen Hawking
Descriptive writing is a literary device of writing in which the writer practices the work of adding details to his work. Descriptive writing helps the readers in providing descriptions of everything in the writing. It can be people, places, objects, and events through the use of suitable details. The writer also employs sensory details in order to improve the reading experience. through descriptive writing, the reader is able to relate the sensory details (seeing, hearing, smelling, touching and tasting) and develop an image of the scene described.
TYPES OF DESCRIPTIVE WRITING
Descriptive writing is designed to describe the pure detailing of a person, place, event, object or any else thing. Words written in the text should try to provide visuals to the reader. There are three significant kinds of descriptive writing:
Writing concerning a person
While writing about a person one must employ his physical features to give details. Other than this there are details about the person which appeal to the readers emotionally.
Considerations while writing about a person -
- Character traits
"Before him, at a little distance, reclined a very large and very fat man, with a wide, pulpy face, and a stern expression. His large head was very grey; and his whiskers, which he wore only around his face, like a frame, were grey also. His clothing was of rich stuff, but old, and slightly frayed in places. One of his swollen legs had a pillow under it and was wrapped in bandages. This stern-countenanced invalid was the dread Henry VIII."
Writing concerning an object
When talking about an object reader's emotions are generated by using metaphorical terms because the general way which is used for a person would not work here.
Considerations while writing about an object -
- Think of an object which is significant to you.
- The object can be one of your favorite things
- explain why the object your favorite / is valuable to you /
important to you.
- "Jack loved his Jaguar but the car didn’t always love Jack. It chose the best days possible to fall sick on him and refuse to move a nerve."
Writing concerning a place
While writing about a place in a descriptive manner, writers employ detailing with imagery so that the reader can thoroughly enjoy the reading.
Considerations while writing about a place -
- Use a lot of adjectives
- learn about the basic features of the place.
For Example -
" the school smelled smart of varnish and wood smoke from the potbellied stove. On gloomy days, not unknown in upstate New York in this region south of Lake Ontario and east of Lake Erie, the windows emitted a vague, gauzy light, not much reinforced by ceiling lights. "
EXAMPLES OF DESCRIPTIVE WRITING
- His last smile to me wasn't a sunset. It was an eclipse, the ultimate eclipse, noon dying away to the darkness where there would be no dawn.
- My Ola driver appeared like a deflating airbag and verbalized like talk radio on repeat.
- The art painted had a field full of flowers in it. The color of the flowers was blue and yellow at the top with deep green stems which appeared as if they were calling the viewer to play with them.
- My dog's fur feels like silk when I touch them with my hands. The black color shines in the sunlight with reflecting back a pure dark mirror.
- The sunset loaded deep red flame into the sky along with cloudy ablaze. The sky was heaven.
- The waves spread along the coast in a gentle, graceful manner with a rhythm on which they were dancing on the land.
CHARACTERISTICS OF DESCRIPTIVE WRITING
Descriptive writing has many characteristics. Some of them are -
- Inclusion of Sensory details - It is necessary to involve clear sensory details while describing something. This is done to convince the readers from every perspective, whether it is sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste. Other than these sense writers also involve feelings and emotions. Sensory details are added to provide an image of the person, place, the object described.
- Figurative language - Descriptive writing is considered up to the mark when it involves figurative speech like analogies, similes and metaphors. It helps the building of imagery and makes it stronger.
- Use of Precise language - descriptive writing has precise language used which involves basic adjectives, nouns and no use of passive verbs. Sometimes writers use specific adjectives and nouns and strong verbs to make the description look more alive.
- Organized style of Writing - Writers incorporate many ways to organize descriptions starting chronologically with time location and what things are important. Whereas a person is described first with physical appearance followed by his believes and then acts.
WHY IS DESCRIPTIVE WRITING DIFFICULT?
Descriptive writing is important to add in writing whether a student is doing a normal academic assignment or writing description writing itself. This is because every time a student decides to write anything, he has to either describe an essay or a story. But many students find this description work very problematic and boring, this is because while describing a writer has to appeal tropical island people about American Midwest, moreover there may be possibilities that the reader does not know about the person, place or object described. This makes the work of appealing tough.
Students nowadays have become increasingly visual and they see whatever they want to on the internet, which makes their senses lose the angle of description and imagination which one gains. Writing in a descriptive manner is a struggle for students. They do not allow any techniques to go with it. The low vocabulary and use of adjectives make it more problematic.
ASSIGNMENTHELP.NET ‘S TECHNIQUE OF WRITING
The expert team working with assignmenthelp.net helps in writing assignments by following a proper technique to writing. First, they choose a topic which has a focus on a single event like a person, a location or an item. This topic can also be something which is liked by the client or the client considers it important. Experts ideas are indulged in them a thorough description of the topic, in which the reader believed that the text is undoubtedly written by a professional. We choose a topic which makes sense. Chronological order is preferred while describing the main ideas which needs to be covered in the essay. We make sure that the introductory paragraph sets the right tone for further writing in an essay.
The second technique of our work is to restate the idea with prominent thoughts in the writing which sets out the right purpose of the essay. Also, the restatement is done by conveying regulated information.
In the third step we make sure that the senses are added rightly in the writing so that the reader can touch, smell, see. Listen the description. Utilization of literary tools like metaphors, similes, personification and descriptive adjectives is done. An outline and Conclusion is added in the end to give the descriptive writing a right direction in the ending.
Ph.D. WRITERS OF ASSIGNMENTHELP.NET
Assignmenthelp.net has hired experts who are qualified as Ph.D. These Ph.D. experts are hired to help students who are dealing with problems related to Descriptive Writing. These experts are very hardworking and determined towards writing good descriptions for students. Our Company understands that descriptive writing can be equal to write a novel which is difficult to do at the level of higher education.
Thus the Ph.D. experts can very easily help you gain good grades with their excellent content. When the students are not comfortable with their ideas, they can easily approach the quality work of. Ph.D. writers are expert in the area student is writing on so they can easily propose arguments and evidence which no student at that level would be having information about.
Also, the Ph.D. experts have a very professional method of writing combined with great vocabulary and grammar knowledge thus they can easily convince their writers by not disrespecting other viewpoints. Our Ph.D. experts do not require any internet or other sources to refer because they have studied all their life in this subject.
ADVANTAGES OF ASSIGNMENTHELP.NET
- The Ph.D. writers deliver the quality work in the exact deadline assigned by the client to us
- Work is done at a very pocket-friendly price without making the student tensed about the payment.
- We take the responsibility of checking the university guidelines every now and then so that no mistakes could take place.
- Work is done without plagiarism
- Original content from the scratch is written.
- We use proper referencing if any critical viewpoints are quoted.
- work is done according to client requirement
- Confidentiality is our promise. Your secret would be safe with us.
Come and solve your problem related to language features just log into assignmenthelp.net right now!
- Assignment Help
- Homework Help
- Writing Help
- Academic Writing Assistance
- Editing Services
- Plagiarism Checker Online
- Research Writing Help