MIS781 Group Assignment
Business Intelligence Solution Development and Report for Social Enterprise
BI Solution Development and Report
In the BI practicals, we saw how the Watson Analytics tools interact with data sources to produce BI dashboards for managers. This practical assignment requires you to demonstrate your understanding and apply IBM Watson Analytics tool.
This group assignment topic will be on environmental issues. As the co-founders of a social enterprise, your main task is to apply Watson Analytics and develop innovative analytics solution with regards to environment, e.g. climate change, energy consumption, carbon footprint, greenhouse gas emission, air quality dashboard, etc. Besides the suggested datasets/sources, you may apply any other real-world or artificial dataset to illustrate your approach (the different datasets can be combined too).
(Note: “a social enterprise is an organisation that applies commercial strategies to maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being”, source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_enterprise)
Some possible datasets/sources:
- Develop the relevant BI dashboards, predictive models and social media analytics using IBM Watson Analytics tool.
- Justify why these BI solutions could provide insights and why those attributes are laid out in the fashion you proposed (feel free to include all other relevant justifications).
Note: To ensure that you discuss task (2) properly, you must include visual samples of the reports you produce (i.e. the screenshots of the BI report/dashboard must be presented and explained in the written report; use ‘Snipping tool’), and also include any assumptions that you may have made.
- The BI report should include: 1) BI dashboards screenshots and commentary, 2) predictive models, 3) social media findings, 4) overall findings and recommendations, 5) objectives and benefits of your BI solution, etc. Feel free to make reasonable assumptions or refine the data as needed. You may create your own artificial datasets. Real-world dataset is not compulsory. Note: Do refer to the assignment marking rubrics.
- You MUST produce the actual visuals in IBM Watson Analytics.
- If you think the best presentation above is to use, say, only a pie chart, then discuss using a pie chart and indicate what the pie chart would show, why you picked the pie chart, and so on.
- It may be useful to try with various dashboards (i.e. combinations of presentations) before rushing to conclusion.
- The body of the report should contain ‘Table of Content’, logically organised sections, and ‘List of references’.
- The contribution of each team member must be clearly stated on the Table of Content. E.g. Introduction (done by Alex Smith).
- You may include figures, diagrams, tables and charts, etc.
- For this practical assignment, the length of the assignment includes everything (e.g. Table of content and References list).
- Reports should be written in Microsoft Word (font size 11) and submitted as a Word file.
- Assignments are to be submitted online to the CloudDeakin dropbox (see submission details below).
The assignments should be submitted as a Word file, called surname1-surname2surname3.docx (e.g. Smith-Patel-Jones.docx) and submitted via CloudDeakin (your group’s Dropbox; not individual one even though if you are allowed to do it individually – so, just join any group number as a sole member, or else your mark will not be automatically recorded by the group assignment system). It is worth 40% of your overall mark for this unit.
Do include your Team’s Watson login and password detail on the first page. Assignments with Turnitin index of 15% or more will be reported to Faculty Academic Misconduct Committee.
You should include any website, journal, or conference papers you have cited in your research paper as references.
Please use the Harvard or APA style for referencing your sources.
Assessment of Assignment
The Marking Rubric should give you an idea of the relative effort you need to apply to each section of your assignment.