- Lab 5B Word Essentials
Lab 5B Word Essentials assignment
The purpose of this lab is to practice formatting in a word processing application by recreating a pamphlet typically distributed free to customers in a commercial nursery. This will include reformatting previously formatted text and inserting a picture into the document. A sample of the pamphlet is provided as a PDF in the Lab 5B resources section.
- Open Microsoft Word
- Create a new, blank document and save your document as LastName_ Lab5B.
- Browse to the Lab 5B: Word Essentials drop box in Angel
- Open the doc document which you can find beneath the Lab Resources heading in the Lab 5B: Word Essentials drop box.
- Open the pdf, which you can find beneath the Lab Resources heading in the Lab 5B: Word Essentials drop box.
You are responsible for creating a single page newsletter in Word, which matches the
Gardners_Corner_Sample_Document.pdf file as closely as possible. You will be provided a summary of the steps required but you will need to hunt around a little in word to find the tools necessary to accomplish some of the tasks. Remember to use help if you are not sure exactly how to accomplish a task
- Copy the text provided in the doc document as the content for your newsletter.
- Make the following changes to the various headers
- Create a header using a built-in header and the text Gardener’s Corner.
- Create a title using the text Putting a Perennial Garden to Bed and the Title style under the Styles
- Create a subtitle using the text by Joy. Remember to use Italics
- Create section titles (i.e. Cleanup, Add Compost). You should use the Styles and Formatting tools in Microsoft Word. Do not manually set the format the header text for each section.
- Your instructor should be able to automatically modify the formatting of all headers by modifying a Style.
- Review Lab 5A: Word Essentials if you have trouble with this task.
- You may change the font color of the header, title and section headings to complement the image selected if desired.
- Make the following changes in the body of the document.
- Create two columns in the body using the Columns tool found on the Page Layout
- Highlight the first word of the first paragraph (A) and using the Drop Cap tool found on the Insert tab to create a large Capital A
- Create bullet lists using the same bullet size and type throughout the sections. You can use the format painter tool (looks like a paint brush) to duplicate the formatting exactly.
- Omit the phrase “For copies of earlier Gardner’s Corners . . . call”
- Correct the section title “To mulch or not to mulch” and run spell check.
- No picture has been provided. Please go to Wikimedia Commons by following this link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Find a picture of an appropriate flower on this site. You should copy the picture and then paste it in your document.
- You must resize the selected picture to fit within your document while preserving the aspect ratio. This is done by selecting the picture, clicking on a corner handle (small circle) holding the shift key down as you drag the mouse from the corner to the middle along the diagonal. The picture should include citation.
- Position the picture by using the picture tools contextual tab and position button. 5. Adjust the font and image sized to ensure that the document fits on a single page
- When complete, make sure you Save your work.