ITM305 Assignment 1
Singleton Product Offering (SPO) is a start-up, offering unique, one-of-a-kind products to customers through an online system.
You were hired to perform systems analysis and design work for this initiative. Here is some information available to you:
- A third-party vendor will create a database of available products including pictures, specifications and prices. Same vendor will keep the database up to date with new products, price changes, and removal of the out-ofstock products.
- Customers will get into the website using a URL.
- Customer may leave the site at any time. Last visit info will be kept in the system using cookies.
- Available products including specs and prices will be displayed on the screen. Customers will scroll down to see more. They will have option to search for a desired product.
- Customer would be able to add desired products to the shopping cart.
- Clicking on Checkout button will direct customers to the next step If customer decides to purchase products in the shopping cart.
- In checkout screen, 3 options will be provided to the customer:
- For existing customers, system will ask customer to log in. When customer clicks on login, a new screen will be popped up for customer to provide email address and password. If credentials are OK, customer will be directed to the payment screen.
- Customers who are wishing to create an account will be directed to a registration screen where customer provides personal information, email, password (plus a password retype), home address, and credit card information. After checking presence of all required information, a record for the customer will be created in the customer database and customer will be directed to the payment screen. An email confirming registration will be sent to the customer.
- Guest customers will be directed to data entry screen where the customer will provide personal information, email, home/delivery address and credit card information. Data will stay in the memory and no customer record will be created. Customer will be directed to payment screen.
- In payment screen, total purchase and cost of shipping (based on delivery address) will be displayed:
- Free for delivery in Canada and total purchase more than $50.
- $20 for in Canada for less than $50 total purchase.
- $30 flat rate for all other countries.
- Customer will be asked to select the credit card on file or provide a new credit card. In case of a new credit card, a screen will be popped up and customer has to provide credit card number, name on card, expiry date and CVV. System will save the info.
- If customer decides to continue, will click the “Purchase” button and system will send a transaction containing credit card info and total amount to the bank to get approval for the purchase. If bank declines the transaction, system will ask customer to either provide another credit card or cancel the purchase.
- If bank approves purchase transaction, system will take the following actions:
- Create an order (plus order number) and save it in the order database.
- Send an email to the customer along with the order number and order details.
- Send a transaction to the Shipping department.
- Send a transaction to the Warehouse to update the inventory record and sends the product to the Shipping.
- Upon receiving the product from the Warehouse, Shipping will do the followings:
- Send a transaction (containing destination, box dimensions, and weight) to the Courier requesting a Tracking number and estimated delivery date.
- Print a label containing customer’s name, address, and order number and stick it to the box.
- Send an email to the customer confirming the shipment, tracking number, and estimated delivery date.
- Customer would be able to check the delivery status either by clicking the tracking number on the email or by accessing the Courier site.
- Upon completion of the delivery, Courier will send a transaction to the Shipping and Shipping will update the Order and mark it as complete.
As some details are omitted to make the case simple and workable with in the time limit, ask your questions if you need more information. Also, you can make reasonable assumptions where needed.
You will deliver the followings:
- A use Case diagram covering the scope of project/system.
- An activity diagram covering the scope of project/system.
- A use case description for filling the shopping cart.
- A use case description for the payment processing.
- A system Sequence diagram for payment processing.