BUS103 Accounting for Managers
Your instructor will assign you one of three Australian retail companies that are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) as follows: Myer, Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi Limited. You are required to obtain the 2019 Annual Report for the company you have been assigned to work on. You must answer all questions in Part A and B using the 2019 Annual Report of your company.
This assignment is designed to get you to locate the Annual Report for a company and become familiar with its contents, particularly the financial statements and the notes to the financial statements (LO 2 and 3). While we have looked at very basic formats of the financial statements, the financial statements for a company contain much more detailed information much of which you have not been introduced to yet. Pay attention in the Annual Report to the information provided in the notes to the financial statements as you will find a lot of useful information in them that may help with some of the assignment questions.
PART A – THE COMPANY REPORT (Refer rubric below for marking guidance)
Question 1 Describe the principal activities of the company? (1 mark)
Question 2 Define the revenue recognition criteria of the company and identify the page number and note number where this is stated in the annual report? (1 mark)
Question 3 Describe how the company values all classes of property, plant and equipment? Identify the page number and note number where this is stated in the annual report? (3 marks)
Question 4 Name the Audit firm responsible for performing the audit of the financial statements of the company. Explain why the auditor must declare their independence, and also explain why the financial statements must be audited by an external party. (3 marks)
Question 5 Provide any evidence of the company’s initiative or commitment to business sustainability practices. Why are businesses concerned about sustainability? (2 marks)
PART B ‐ ANALYSIS OF COMPANY’S FINANCIAL INFORMATION
Question 1 Using the company financial information, analyse and compare their 2018 and 2019 financial data by answering the following questions (you should analyse 2 ratios for each question):
- Calculate the efficiency of the company by identifying and calculating two efficiency ratios. You need to calculate the two ratios for 2018 and 2019 (2 marks).
- You must also explain what the efficiency ratio results tell us about the company performance occurring between the 2 periods (1 mark). Has the company’s efficiency improved or deteriorated? (1 mark)
- Analyse the profitability of the company by identifying and calculating two profitability ratios. You need to calculate the two ratios for 2018 and 2019 (1 mark).
- You must also explain what the profitability ratio results tell us about the company performance occurring between the 2 periods. (1 mark) Has the company’s profitability improved or deteriorated? (1 mark)
- Analyse the company debt position by identifying and calculating two ratios. You need to calculate the two ratios for 2018 and 2019 (1 mark).
- You must also explain what the debt ratio results tell us about the company performance occurring between the 2 periods. (1 mark). Has the company’s debt position improved or deteriorated? (1 mark)
Unit Title: Organisational Behaviour
Length/Duration: Group Presentation: 2 speakers, 8-10 lecture slides, 15 minutes to present. Group report : 2000 words
Students are required to identify and research into any business person which has a great influence as a leader in the business world. The leader may have offered a new product, discover something new, leading a successful business, make the customers happy or taking risks etc. Once the business leader has been selected, each Group can cover any three (3) to five (5) topics focusing on the leader (depending on the number of members in each group. Each Member must cover one topic). The suggested topics below as part of the presentation as follows:
1) Important decision (s) the leader has made
2) Sources of drawing inspiration or ideas from
3) Dealing with managers and employees
4) Visions the leader has for the organisation
5) Challenges the leader has to face
6) Strengths and weakness of the leader
7) The risks the leader has undertaken
8) Lesson(s) we can learn about this person as a leader
9) Sources/area for leaders to find employees for its organisation