Health care entity and patient safety measures
1. Identification of a Health Care Entity
The Tasmania Primary Health Care center is an entity, a health care center in the Tasmanian shores, Australia. The center is thirty years old and caters to the rural people of Tasmanian beach. The health care center provides treatment and diagnosis of diseases but does not have the facility of hospital admission except in case of child-birth. The center has a one – fifty bed maternity ward which treats and admits pregnant woman to facilitate them during the birth of their babies. The medicine department has able doctors and the daily diagnosis of around four to five hundred people occurs. There are divisions like the pediatric department, gynecological department and the gerontology division. The health care center is renowned to give good medical care and even gives the medicines for free. It is a non-profit organization run by a charitable trust and has gained reputation for primary treatments of the residents of Tasmania. Recently it has set up a different department for the HIV positive patients with its renowned doctor’s team and has earned the reputation of good treatment and care to the HIV positives. Hence in the center, patients who are HIV affected, come from far to undergo treatment and care.
2. The success and failure of the health-care entity according to the patient safety measures
- The Tasmania Primary Health Care centre has been able to fulfill the need of extending care to the expecting mothers in the locality by extending its maternity services.
- Primary treatment for all medicine cases are done for the local people and the center has done good service since 30 years by treating the medicine cases pre-hospitalization. It has been able to cure some major ailments among the patients and earned good reputation of a primary health care center in the locality. The average patient treated in the medicine department is five hundred per day.
- The health care center has special departments for the old, the children and the women. This enables to cover the major complications at the onset and helps in a large way in combatting major diseases
- The center gives free medicines and helps in the well-being and treatment of the Tasmanian community
- The HIV treatment division does remarkable service to the HIV positive patients as there are not many health care centers and hospitals which have the facilities to treat them. Since there is a different division to treat such cases, the patients are treated with respect without difference in behavior of the medical practitioners.
The Failures –
- Despite thirty years in service the Tasmania Health Care Centre has not been able to transcend more than a primary health care unit
- During complications in pregnancy the patient has to be shifted to city hospital
- There has been a case of mortality due to excessive hemorrhage during the child birth and other complicacies.
- The large campus of 100 acres remains unutilized where a good hospital could sprawl up.
- Despite the free medicines given and a set of skilled doctors, the center is active only locally because the lack of hospital facilities keeps away people from distance except the HIV patients.
3. The quality measure that nursing science can impact
A quality measure that nursing science can impact is effective communication regarding the patient and communication to the care givers and doctors. Many of the time the nurses treat on the immediate syndrome and fail to tap the history of the patient which is very important. For example the nebulizers given during acute pneumonia can increase the diabetes count of the patient. Hence doctors and nurses have to be cautious how to handle the situation. “Communication or lack of it has been estimated the cause of 50 to 60 per cent of the cause to fatal events” (Needleman & Hassmiller, 2009). The SBAR model which means situation-background-assessment-recommendation is a model developed by Dr. Leonard Michael and it gives the details background of the patient’s history for right treatment and diagnosis of the patient’s disease. The communication must be extended outside the scope of hospital and health centers. “The care-givers must be made aware of the disease of the incumbent and the potential risks he or she may face” (Needleman & Hassmiller, 2009). The idea is not to scare away but in a polite manner the way to make aware of the disease, its precautions, the life-style change required and the steps to be taken in case of the emergencies. If the patient is an able one, he or she may be made aware of the disease and the precautions that need to be taken to prevent aggravation. This is an area which is felt to have large potentials when impacted by the nursing science.
4. The potential obstacle that may impact this quality measure
- Most of the time when patients come to the health-care center or a hospital, there is an emergency need for the treatment. Time becomes short and the relevant information gathering takes time.
- Many of the time to avail the medical insurance, the patient family can hush up a pre-existing ailment which becomes a serious problem for the proper diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
- The data of the pre-existing diseases may not be available due to the negligence of care-givers and wrong information may cause serious even fatal consequences.
- The patients who are stable can only relate to the nurse their condition and the difficulties properly but those who are too sick cannot even afford to make a communication to tell their states. Here the nurses have to be specially sensitive and careful and make their guess work and give the treatment.
5. Groups with whom collaboration is needed as a nurse in the entities
Nurses need to collaborate with the visiting physicians and Medical o officers most as they have to inform them about the patient conditions and give proper noting of the observations of the patients. They also need to collaborate with the ward masters or the blue collar staffs engaged in a hospital or health care center to instruct them how to handle the particular patient. The anesthetist and the laboratory people need to be collaborated to carry out the various tests required for the patients. Lastly the nurses need to collaborate with the care-giver of the patient and need to make them understand the intricacies of the disease. Also they need to collaborate with community workers to make them aware against any health issues of concern or epidemics.
Dahlin, C. M. (2015). Communication in Palliative Nursing. Textbook of Palliative
Care Communication,54-62. doi:10.1093/med/9780190201708.003.0008
Needleman, J., & Hassmiller, S. (2009). The Role Of Nurses In Improving Hospital Quality And Efficiency: Real-World Results | Health Affairs. Retrieved from https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.28.4.w625
Niederman, M. S. (2008). Pneumonia: Considerations for the Critically Ill Patient. Critical Care Medicine,867-883. doi:10.1016/b978-032304841-5.50045-5
Nursing, Health, and the Environment. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.nap.edu/read/4986/chapter/5
Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare: Quality Outcomes. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.psqh.com/novdec07/quality.html
Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and More. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/pneumonia
Total Quality Management in Health Care(2018). Retrieved from ttp://www.currentnursing.com/
- Assignment Help
- Homework Help
- Writing Help
- Academic Writing Assistance
- Editing Services
- Plagiarism Checker Online
- Research Writing Help