Database migration Assignment Help
Database migrations are also known as Schema migration, it is a part of software engineering wherein if there needs to be made some changes in the database or there is a need to upgrade the database from an older version to a newer one or to get it back from the new version to the old version, then the process is known as database migration. one of the most basic way used to perform a database migration is with the help of migration tools. The tool helps in invoking the database with appropriate procedure and hence helps in updating the database. The rest of the work is done by the tool once the invoking is done and is totally automated. The basic reason why such a tool is used is that whenever there are some of the changes made, there is a change in the database and the functioning as well and this is what a tool is used to avoid. A migration tool will make the needed changes so when a migration is taking place, it will try to minimize the effect of those changes on the systems performance and the working principle of the database. We are aware of the fact that database management is simply done to manage the huge amount of data in a proper manner so that it looks well and can be reached out whenever wanted in a way which is easier for the person using it, the data migration tools help in maintaining that integrity and treat data as the most important aspect of their working routine like maintaining the data or bringing some changes in the same.
Benefits and the risks of database migration:
We are well aware of the fact that database migration is done so that more amount of flexibility is achieved while maintaining the data, changing it or updating it. This process has become an essential part of the software and database management areas especially in times like today when versatility is what an organization demands from the tons of data that they have. Just like every other aspect of life, things have some benefits along with some disadvantages, down below is a list of all the benefits and drawbacks of database migration and database migration tools.
- Updating a database is said to have many risks because of the fact that when data is updated, there are always chances of losing the data because while the update is taking place, the data is kept in some temporary place which is very risky when dealing with the high amount of data.
- When the data is updated, it is said to be improved in a way that it gets more compact and precise, compact enough for it to be understood by a human giving it just a single read. This helps in optimizing the time as well as precision while working with the data.
- It is always assumed that while making some big changes in the database, there can be any amount of surprises hidden from you, for instance, you can get the most optimized form of database for you or there might also be chances to lose each and every bit of the data.
- Their surprises depend on many factors, for instance the amount of corrupt data that was present in the database which was written using the previous versions of the database management system software might lead to a problem because there is a maximum probability that one will lose the corrupt amount of data in the database once the database is updated.
- There might be some management issues when an unknown person directly changes the content of the database without using the specific tools designated for the purpose because when the data will be synchronized, there would be no entry for an update in the data for the tool and it will lead to some big problem in the database.
- One thing that should not be neglected while working with software is that there can be some unwanted bugs in the system or the software which interfere with the working of the same and might result in a bad performance for the migration tool and should be taken care of before a much bigger problem is created by the same.
Database migration Assignment Help By Online Tutoring and Guide Sessions at AssignmentHelp.Net
Steps to data migration
There are a total of five steps to successfully migrate the data from one database to another or to simply upgrade the existing one
- Preparation for the migrate: this is the first step out of the five to migrate a database using the migration tools and this step should be correct along with all the other ones to successfully migrate.
- Testing of the process being used to migrate: one should always test the process with which the migration will take place with faux data to check if there is any loss in the data while the migration process is taking place.
- Preparing the data to be processed: the data that is to be upgraded or migrated should be checked before migration process because as stated earlier if the data is corrupt in any form then there can a big problem for the rest of the data as well as the tool being used to migrate the data.
- Migration of the production database is the next step followed by the step to test the data that is to be migrated because this is the data that is actually important to the person who owns the data.
- The fifth step is done after the process is completed and the data is migrated successfully from the previous version to a new and more advanced version with the help of the migration tool. This step involves working on the specifics and tuning the data according to the specific needs in the new, upgraded version of the database and see if the data is complete and there was no breach in between the process.
Checklist for a successful database:
- Size of the database: The size of the database is an important factor to determine the time and the necessary steps required for the transfer of the database and hence optimizing the tasks according to the priority and the preference of the user.
- Application testing before the procedure: It is always advised to use the application that caters to the specific needs of the person who wants to migrate the database because each and every application have their own kind of specialty.
- Data privacy: This is an important concern for most of the organizations while migrating systems and specific arrangements should be made to ensure that there is no breach of data and the migration is done pretty securely.
- Operating system: there are certain applications that cater to only specific operating systems and hence one should always keep in mind the operating system while searching for the application being used for the migration.