BSBHRM506 Manage Recruitment Selection and Induction Processes
BSBHRM506 Manage recruitment selection and induction processes
Healthcare United aims to be the number one provider of Healthcare professionals in Australia.It is an organisation that currently employs 1500 Healthcare professionals with two sites, in Victoria and NSW and seeks to expand its operations and open another office in Hobart. As a vision of organization, it is to provide the best qualified and trained human resources available for clients, an up-to-date technology in all services for both clients and staff, innovative best practices and procedures from both inside and outside the organization and the best facilities and procedure in a competitive environment. For Healthcare United, recruitment and selection is a critical activity for all organizations to ensure that it has the right people, at the right time, in the right places, equipped and able to do what needs to be done to fulfil organization objectives.
To improve the recruitment and selection process at Healthcare United, recruiter and human resource manager are struggling on a daily basis to recruit highly-qualified healthcare professionals all over the world. Likely, many healthcare organizations have realized the importance of this problem. They have started using some innovative solutions in order to improve hiring in the healthcare industry. This report is going to intended for the recruitment and selection processes and the development of a new and improved recruitment and selection policy that Healthcare United.
As an organisation our vision is to provide:
- the best qualified and trained human resources available for clients
- up-to-date technology in all services for both clients and staff
- innovative best practices and procedures from both inside and outside the organisation
- best facilities and procedures in a competitive environment.
To address the future needs of the organisation, Healthcare United aims to recruit a further 500 of the best possible healthcare professionals available, in three stages, over the next five years.
Key tenets of our recruitment and selection policy are:
- managers will assume major responsibility for the recruitment and selection of staff, the training of required personnel and supporting documentation
- HR department will support managers in this role
- timeframe for recruitment and selection will be two to three weeks maximum
- position analysis will be conducted on all vacant or new positions
- all vacant and new positions will be advertised internally and externally for ten working days unless special exemptions apply and be advertised online and in leading national newspapers
- special exemptions to internal recruitment must be approved by the general manager
- all interviews must be conducted by a trained selection panel
- selection of staff is subject to reference checks conducted by the manager
- Healthcare United is an equal opportunity employer.
Healthcare United is an organisation that seeks to employ the best possible healthcare professionals. It is an equal opportunity employer.
Healthcare United is committed to providing high quality programs and services to our community. To support the achievement of this objective we recognise the importance of employing the most suitable applicant for all vacant positions.
Healthcare United will ensure it has the best opportunity to attract the best available staff by broadly advertising (internally and externally as deemed appropriate) all vacant remunerated positions and volunteer vacancies.
Healthcare United will take all reasonable steps to ensure that applicants may be safely entrusted with the duties of their position.
Healthcare United will internally advertise all vacant positions to current staff and volunteers to encourage career advancement and increase participation.
Healthcare United is committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination.
All recruitment and selection procedures and decisions will reflect Healthcare Uniteds commitment to providing equal opportunity by assessing all potential candidates according to their skills, knowledge, qualifications and capabilities. No regard will be given to factors such as age, gender, marital status, race, religion, physical impairment or political opinions.
The purpose of the recruitment and selection process is to guarantee that the company has employed the best recruitment from the effective human resource recruitment and selection process.
Recruitment and selection process
The recruitment and selection process involves the following procedures:
- Vacant position analysis
- Position description
- Short-list applicants
- Interview preparation
- Interview applicants
- Reference check
- Job offer
- Feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
1. Vacant position analysis
When a position becomes vacant it is important to analyse the position to determine whether it is still required.
Estimated timeframe: Two to three days.
When a position becomes vacant the following procedure must be completed.
- Manager notifies HR about vacant position and requests ‘permission for position form’.
- Manager completes their section of ‘permission to recruit form’ stating reasons why position needs to be filled and submits it to HR department.
- Position needs analysis conducted by HR department who them completes rest of ‘permission to recruit form’.
Note: HR may need to question manager about position.
- Completed ‘permission to recruit form’ to be approved by senior management.
- Once permission is obtained then HR department explore implications, options, legislative and award requirements.
2. Position description
A position description is an important prerequisite to successful recruitment and selection.
Estimated development and validation timeframe: three to five days.
- Position descriptions are developed by HR department using a position description template and include:
- position title
- key objective
- qualifications required
- WHS component
Note: HR may consult with manager about position description if necessary.
- Senior management to sign off on position description.
Healthcare United’s advertising policy: unless there is special authorisation from senior management, all positions must first be advertised internally for a minimum of ten working days in the HU newsletter before being advertised externally for a period of ten working days.
The newsletter is distributed via the intranet every Friday morning and hard copies are also placed on noticeboards in offices and lunchrooms.
Timeframe: 20–25 working days.
- HR department creates advertisement for HU newsletter on intranet.
- HR sends advertisement to publications department to post on the intranet.
- HR creates advertisement for authorised external print media.
- After advertisement has been posted internally for ten working days, HR organises for external print media.
4. Short-list applicants
Short-listing is a process of elimination. However, Healthcare United requires that all internal applicants be interviewed.
Timeframe: Five days minimum.
- Administration staff to collate all resumes and give to HR department.
- HR to read over position description and advertisements.
- HR to read each external applicant’s résumé and divide them into ‘yes’, ‘no’ and ‘maybe’ piles.
- HR to then reread ‘yes’ and ‘maybe’ resumes and complete short-list chart for external applicants.
- HR reads all internal applications and completes the short-list chart.
- HR then collates all documentation from internal applicants and shortlisted external applicants.
- HR organises administration staff to send all external applicants not short-listed a standard letter by post.
5. Interview preparation
Healthcare United uses the interviewing selection technique with interviews being conducted at head office only. Where possible, Healthcare United requires a selection panel of two HR personnel and a representative from the related department to interview applicants.
Timeframe: interview preparation one to two days.
- HR requests administration staff at head office to organise:
- comfortable and quiet location
- food and beverages for interview panel
- interview schedule.
- HR to organise interview documentation which includes:
- position description
- resumes for each shortlisted candidate
- consent to check and release police record form
- standard interview questions for HR members of interview panel
- interview assessment forms for interviewers
- use checklist for documentation.
- HR organises interview panel: two members of HR department and one staff member from the job-related department with one of the HR members being the chairperson.
Note: It is preferable that the staff member from the job-related department is experienced.
- Chairperson (HR) chooses and advises the staff member of their role as ‘expert’ and requests that they think of three job-related interview questions.
6. Interview applicants
Interviews are to be conducted only at head office. Interviews are to be 30 minutes in duration with a five-minute break in between. No more than 12 interviews should be conducted in a day.
Timeframe: scheduled interviews one to two days depending on number of applicants.
- Chairperson greets candidate and makes introductions.
- Chairperson opens interview.
- HR members of panel ask applicant a series of standard interview questions.
- Staff member from job-related department asks three questions.
- Chairperson asks applicant if they have any questions.
- Chairperson informs the candidate of the process.
- Panel thank candidate for attending.
- Panel complete interview assessment.
- Panel select applicant.
- Gain approval from senior management – subject to reference check.
7. Reference check
Reference checks are an important part of the selection process. Healthcare United reference checks must be conducted on both internal and external applicants by the HR department.
Timeframe: one to two days depending on number of applicants.
- Phone workplace of applicant and speak to manager/referee.
- Introduce self, organisation and purpose of call.
- Ask standard questions about applicant’s knowledge and skills.
- Ask about applicant’s personality.
- Ask manager for their opinion of applicant’s standard of work.
- Ask manager if there have been any problems with applicant.
- Discuss references with other HR person on interview panel.
8. Job offer
Job offer needs to be made immediately after Reference check.
Timeframe: one to five days.
- HR department organise written contract to be drawn up with terms and conditions.
- Administration to post employee contract to applicant.
- Upon receipt of signed contract HR post new employee advice about induction program.
9. Feedback to unsuccessful applicants
Healthcare United requires all unsuccessful internal applicants to be provided feedback in individual meetings with a member of the HR department.
Timeframe: one to two days depending on number of applicants.
- HR department ask administration to schedule 30-minute meeting with each unsuccessful internal applicant.
- HR department representative to conduct feedback meetings with unsuccessful internal applicants.
- HR department representative to phone unsuccessful external applicants and offer feedback.
- HR department to file hard copies of notes about unsuccessful applicants.
As analysis, we identified couple of issues regarding 2000 and 2010 policies and procedures on recruitment and selection process of the company. Healthcare United management should make sure of its policies and procedures regarding selection and recruitment process when making changes. Changes on key areas needs to be clear, accurate and precise. A constant monitoring and documentation on company’s progress should be implemented on a regular basis. Also Healthcare united should be aware of the legislations in making its policy and procedure to avoid future problems. A satisfied and effective employee makes a company happy.
Legislations, www.legislation.nsw.gov.au, www.comlaw.gov.au
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986, www.hreoc.gov.au Staffing and Recruiting Process, www.staffingandrecruitingessential.com
- Assignment Help
- Homework Help
- Writing Help
- Academic Writing Assistance
- Editing Services
- Plagiarism Checker Online
- Research Writing Help