Through their experimental observations, F. Skoog and his co-workers found that the tobacco callus differentiated when extracts of vascular tissues, yeast extract, coconut milk, or DNA were added to the culture medium. This led to the discovery of cytokinins.
1. They promote the growth of lateral branches by inhibiting apical dominance.
2. They help in the production of new leaves, chloroplasts, and adventitious shoots.
3. They help in delaying senescence by promoting nutrient mobilisation.
1. They are used for preventing apical dominance.
2. They are used for delaying senescence in leaves.