Ruby and Ruby on Rails
Ruby programming language
Ruby is a reflective and object-oriented computing language which was designed by Yukihiro Matsumoto sometime in the 1990s. The dynamic general purpose was developed originally in Japan.
It is known to have stemmed from other languages such as Perl, small talk, Eiffel, Ada and Lisp. The multiple paradigm languages contains functional, object oriented and imperative systems that are dynamic and also boasts of automatic memory management. The language was introduced on December 21, 1995, via the domestic societies of Japan. The launching of Ruby collided with another language ruby list mailing list.
Ruby witnessed the development of numerous features in its subsequent editions which included object orientation in architecture, classes with inheritance, mixins, iterators, closures and exceptional handling of garbage collection.
Ruby on rails programming language
Advantages of Ruby programming language
- Ruby language is highly object oriented when it comes to its structure and overall format which included inheritance, mixins and metaclasses.
- The language is quite elaborately efficient in dynamic as well as duck typing which makes it versatile.
- All the statements and even the declarations can be considered as expression and can be imperatively executed.
- The syntax of Ruby is very simple and flexible which makes the language error free also serving as a foundation for domain specific languages.
- The dynamic typing and structure of the language enable meta-programming as a huge asset for the user.
- There are certain literal notations and symbols for arrays, hashes and regular expressions.
- There are many default arguments and various levels of scope denoted by sigils.
- Ruby even boasts of exception handling and operator overloading.
- One of the most important assets of ruby is rational numbers, complex numbers and arbitrary precision arithmetic.
- There is an interactive ruby shell program which makes the computing language much more user- friendly.
- Ruby has a centralized package management through ruby gems.
Disadvantages of ruby language
- The languages such as C and PHP have a large online community of programmers working in collaboration. However, Ruby does not have a wide network is a real help for beginners.
- Ruby is considered one of the slowest programming languages when it comes to processing a certain code. The run time of an output is researched to be twenty times slower than that of Java.
- Ruby is a very different and new language which came into existence after many other languages. Due to its late development, it has a unique syntax which isn’t similar to other languages.
- Ruby is not updated on a regular basis which takes up a lot of time for the users to overcome the errors.
Advantages of Ruby on Rails language
- Ruby on rails has upgraded several properties of ruby which includes processing speed. The outputs are processed at a much faster rate than they were in the traditional ruby language.
- There are online libraries available which can be used for accessing predefined functions and variables.
- The language is known to be equipped with the feature of automatic error detection and it also tests the program before running the output.
- Ruby developers have an advantage when it comes to developing rails as it follows the same code patterns with a simpler approach.
- Ruby on rails seems to be the language of the new generation and of those programmers who couldn’t get accustomed to Ruby in the first place.
- Ruby on rails is much more popular than ruby owing to its better quality codes and improved features. This even makes it famous among programmers around the globe.
- Ruby on rails offers a large online community who work together to develop the language.
Disadvantages of Ruby in rails
- The speed, however faster than ruby, is not comparable to the runtime speed provided by other modern languages such as Python, Java and PHP.
- The feature of documentation in ruby on rails is not up to the mark. The libraries take up a lot of space and that adds in slowing down the processes.
- Multithreading is a versatile feature which supported by rails. However, not all available libraries are in favour of the feature. This creates an issue when the user decides to use multithreading and the libraries in the same code or program.
- The architecture of the record is structured and fixed. The syntax, though known to be simple, is not flexible in any sense. This makes it tough to convert programs written in other languages into ruby.