Jared Griffin Guided Reflection
Guided Reflection Questions
How did the simulated experience of Jared Griffin’s case make you feel?
As I have now gained more experience working with the vSim scenarios, I felt that I was confident in the care I provided Mr. Griffin. I was aware and educated about his condition and knew which interventions and education to provide.
Talk about what went well in the scenario.
What went well was all the assessment and patient education. My patient was calm and compliant; Mr. Griffin was interested in his care.
Reflecting on Jared Griffin’s case, were there any actions you would do differently if you were to repeat this scenario? If so, how would your patient care change?
Reflecting on Jared Griffin’s case, I would teach the patient about the importance and how to use the incentive spirometer (I forgot on my first attempt). As the patient is postoperative, it is important to prevent the build-up of fluid and mucus in the lungs. I also should have educated the patient about wound care when he gets home. Otherwise, I was confident in assessments, care, and clinical judgment.
Scenario Analysis Questions*
EBP/S What priority problem(s) did you identify for Jared Griffin?
- When providing treatment for Mr. Griffin the priority problems that I identified were controlling/ managing the MRSA and the post-operative care for his right total knee arthroplasty. MRSA is highly infective and requires safe contact precautions with gloves and gowns. It is important that I keep myself safe and do not infect the other patient I would be caring for in a realistic clinical setting. Postoperative care for total knee arthroplasty (TKA) is a priority because it requires much attention (multiple treatments and interventions) such as wound care, the risk of infection, helping the patient ambulate, educated the patient about wound care, and providing pain and antibiotic medication.
EBP/S What potential problems could arise from improper infection control practices?
- If proper infection control practices are not in place, the health care providers and nurses can transfer the infection from one patient to the next causing further complications to their diagnosis and conditions. For example, the patient’s wound could get infected or a surgical site. If the infection spreads it can affect multiple organ systems and even cause systemic infection.
EBP Discuss the relationship between the spread of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) and proper infection control.
- The proper infection control decreases and ultimately prevents hospital-acquired infections; there is a direct correlation. This is why it so important to wear proper PPE and follow strict handwashing guidelines. Adherence to infection control means fewer patients with hospital-acquired infections, and poor adherence means more infected patients.
PCC/T &C Discuss the importance of patient education on proper infection control practices.
- It is vital to educated patients on proper infection control practices because we want to prevent and reduce the risk of postoperative infection at the incision site. Also, education will help inform the patient about the cycle of infection, resulting in less overall infections.
T&C What other interprofessional team members should be involved in Jared Griffin’s care?
- Other interprofessional team members to include would be nurses, nursing assistant personal, physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, and a dietitian. These health care providers would work together to provide optimal care for Mr. Griffin.
Describe how you would apply the knowledge and skills that you obtained in Jared Griffin’s case to an actual patient care situation.
- In a realistic clinical/ patient experience setting I would apply my gained knowledge by assessing the patients dressing and educating them about dressing changes for when they are ready to be discharged. I will also be able to teach the patient about fall risk and how to keep safe from infections.
*The Scenario Analysis Questions are correlated to the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies: Patient-Centered Care (PCC), Teamwork and Collaboration (T&C), Evidence-Based Practice (EBP), Quality Improvement (QI), Safety (S), and Informatics (I). Find more information at: http://qsen.org/
Download Sample Now
Earn back money you have spent on downloaded sample
Cite This work.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below.
AssignmentHelp (2022) . Retrive from https://www.assignmenthelp.net/jared-griffin-guided-reflection
"." AssignmentHelp ,2022, https://www.assignmenthelp.net/jared-griffin-guided-reflection
AssignmentHelp (2022) . Available from: https://www.assignmenthelp.net/jared-griffin-guided-reflection
AssignmentHelp . ''(AssignmentHelp ,2022) https://www.assignmenthelp.net/jared-griffin-guided-reflection accessed 18/05/2022.