CDR Writing Help
Migration Skills Assessment
In Australia, the engineering practises are categorised into four categories i.e. Professional Engineer, Engineering Technologists, Engineering Associate and Engineering Manager. The tenure of education for these occupations varies from 3-4 years for a bachelor of technology degree accomplished after completion of the 12 years of schooling. However, the Engineering Manager needs to have a higher degree and specific management experience in addition to the bachelor degree. Concentrating on the Professional Engineer occupation, the person has to develop a holistic approach towards different issues of society, environment or community. Further, application of specific engineering techniques for synthesising and designing the processes and resolving relative issues has to be ensured by the professional Engineer.
The Engineering Technologist has primary focus over interactions that take place within a system and then applies appropriate techniques with respect to technology domain. This occupation demands for an open-mindedness towards advancements in technology. The Engineering Associate though has to have a 2 year Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in engineering in Australia for getting reputed jobs. The elements of a system and their operation codes are focused by Engineering Associate. This occupation involves provision for assisting the managers in construction, design, resource estimation, etc. The Engineering Manager is a critical executive position that requires the person to develop strategies and procedures which will be followed by entire team.
Engineers have to have excellent skills or competency towards English language. There are consequent examinations which are considered as the base to judge level of English a person is acquainted with for complying with Engineers Australia. These include IELTS in general and academic versions, TOEFL iBT and PTE ACADEMIC conducted by Pearson. However, applicants that hold a Masters or PhD degree from an Australian university for engineering or have applied for the same are exempted from the English test. The online applications have to be strategically filed by generating a EA ID or CID number. It is acquire through creating of a new account on the website of Engineers Australia and followed by registration over myPortal. The applicant then has to take a Migration Skills Assessment and switch to respective pathway. An email confirmation is achieved only when required documents are submitted.
The applications for respective position can also be submitted via Migration agent. However, it is not recommended to have disclosed sensitive details like passwords to the agent. There are different methods of making payments for assessment fees. These include Credit card payments, BPAY and alternative options if requested by the applicant. It is to be noted that fees once paid shall not be refunded. The Australian citizens that apply are liable to pay 10% GST while those living overseas are not applicable for this tax. The status of filed application can be tracked using the myPortal. The candidates have to be informed that Assessment Turnaround Time is variable and differs from person to person. However, successful assessment outcomes are directly mailed to the respective candidate. Furthermore, this letter has to be verified with inclusion of specific details.
There can be situations of lack of satisfaction with the outcome of assessment. In such situations there are two particular options for the applicants as an appeal to review the process. The first option is to apply for an informal review which is processed within a 3 month period from the date of dispatch of outcome letter. On the other hand, the next option Formal Appeal is valid till 6 months from the date of original outcome letter. However, this is the final chance for applicants to get their assessments reviewed. Misleading applications or any unethical practise can lead to a 12 months ban from next application in Engineers Australia. Hence, applicants must consider ethical codes and guidelines before taking any crucial step.
Assessment of Accredited Qualifications
The accredited qualifications for applicants are engineering qualifications that are liable to recognition as per the international agreements. The qualification of a person from overseas countries can get accredited as per International Engineering Alliance. The individuals that do not hold accredited qualifications for both post graduation and undergraduate programs then a submission of Competency Demonstration Report assessment is required. However, every applicant must have an Australian Advanced Diploma or so equivalent Assignment for entering Engineers Australia. The pathway for migration for graduates that have belonged from accredited Australian engineering programs is Australian Engineering Qualifications. The Washington Accord provides the list of those qualifications which are accredited by signing countries. However, the signing country should have completed a year or more to gain the complete power of being a signatory. The Washington Accord invites applicants from UK and is valid since 1999. However, the qualifications accredited by ABET are not categorised in this Accord. For instance, Turkish degrees are not liable to be applied under the head name of Washington Accord.
Similarly, other Australian Accords involve The Sydney Accord and The Dublin Accord. Migration skills assessment pathways have accredited qualifications for these four broad categories i.e. Australian Qualifications, The Washington Accord, Sydney Accord and the Dublin Accord Qualifications. The Australian Qualifications involves the applicant to have recognition of prior learning with regards to the documents that evident these qualifications. Further, an occupational outcome reflecting the type of degree and its content is also necessary. The applicants for Engineers Australia that are classified under The Sydney Accord should also belong to a signing country that has completed a year of accord. Unlike the requirement of a 4 year bachelor degree from countries of Washington Accord, Sydney Accord qualifications include a 3 year degree as Bachelor of Technology specifically in engineering.
The qualification requirements of applicants that are classified in the Dublin Accord are an Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in engineering from the countries that have been publicly listed in the accord. The accredited qualifications help in getting a legitimate proof of degree acquired by the person. There are certain requirements which the applicant have to fulfil for obtaining migration in Australia. These include results of IELTS, TOEFL iBT or PTE ACADEMIC, documents of name change which has to be gazetted by an authorised personal, academic degrees, etc. However, the applicants have to consider the point those original documents that are to be submitted in high quality and refrained from uploading in multiple numbers.
Assessment of Non-Accredited Qualifications/Engineering Manager
The applicants of Engineers Australia that hold non-accredited qualifications have to submit Competency Demonstration Report i.e. CDR. This kind of document is self-prepared by the applicant and has to cover evidential information regarding core technical knowledge associated with engineering for the respective occupation. Furthermore, the application of these technical learning is also to be documented by the applicants. There are strategic steps to prepare a CDR which are described as follows:
- Personal Information: The elements of personal information component of a CDR include a passport size photograph, prime ID which can be scanned copy of passport or nationality certificates, the curriculum vitae or resume of the person. In cases where applicant’s name has changed in any circumstance has to be supported by name change document. This has to be notified by a gazette officer or an official that is legitimate enough to certify. Additionally, experienced individuals that had an employment or were self-employed need to provide details of their work experience with relevant evidences. The proof of English Language Competency for entering Engineers Australia is also a compulsion for personal information.
- Application: The categorical occupation selected by the applicant has to be elaborated in the application information. Irrespective of the nature of outcome for nomination, the ANZSCO occupation details need to be considered so that CDR can be developed with better inputs. Further, evidence associated with professional registration need to be included if required in the application.
- Education: This section of the CDR includes details that provide an insight for person’s educational qualifications and degrees. The documents that become an evidence of education need to be included under this component. The applicants that are currently learning in any education institution should provide relevant transcripts regarding details of learning centre.
- Employment: The work experience is acquired when a person works for a company or is self-employed. The certificates and documents which portray relevancy of respective work experiences are included and mentioned in employment. Standard Competency Demonstration Report undergoes an assessment for individuals that portray their employment for a period of 12 months or more. This assessment is performed as per the reference letter provided by past employers. This letter includes details such as name of the company, employer, applicants working position, tenure, etc. On the other hand, the inclusion of primary and secondary documents is required for Relevant Skilled Employment assessment.
- The Report: Applicants’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is included in the report for recording the progress of individual with regards to engineering field. This is generally maintained after completion of the under-graduation program. This documentation is presented in a format which includes title of the achievement, its progressive duration, venue and the date when accomplished. It can be any form of progress from gaining knowledge in post graduation to conferences or workshops relevant to the nominal occupation. Furthermore, there has to be inclusion of three career episodes that support the engineering education and work experience. The base of these can be the project taken during graduation or post graduation or a work based experience, etc. The language used for describing these must be English with high competency and in no more than 2500 words.
Lastly, a summary is to be attached with the CDR with a page limit of one. This summary is based on the career episodes included in the report which provide a grasp to the invigilator regarding learning and understanding of engineering concepts and principles.
A professional engineer has to deal with overall system involved in a project. There are specific knowledge and skill base requirements which comprise the competency of this occupation. Phenomenon perspective and logical thinking with capability to apply engineering basics is the comprehensive skill required by Professional Engineer. Further, statistics, computer based knowledge and good hold over interpretation skills have to be portrayed by a person of this genre. However, there is large scope associated for development for a person that tends to choose this occupation in the engineering field. The person that contributes his/her knowledge and skills in this aspect gains an ability to appreciate management of risks and contribution of safe working environment.
Further, techniques to follow and comply with codes of practise are also gained by the professional engineer. The contemporary engineering practises require specific formal methodologies which help in developing an understanding towards management of complex issues and reaching a sustainable stage of practise. As per the Engineering Application Ability section of the assessment table, professional engineer’s methods to improvise on complex issues are addressed. Apart from use of mathematical tools and statistical problems, the performance of complete system is based on processes involved or partitions occurred. The conceptualisation, identification, quantification of respective environments has to be a major capability of Professional engineer. (Refer Appendix)
This occupation requires an ability to dig deeper in a problem and simultaneously cope with developments and changes associated with a technology or the system consisting the technology. Engineering Technologist must be able to define and recognise problems in broader scenario so that specific knowledge can be imparted and solution is obtained. The different types of interactions taking place in various environments like cultural, commercial, social or legal have to be integrated with technology under this occupation. Considering the scope of occupation as an Engineering Technologists, real time application of gained engineering knowledge is understood which provides opportunities in designing and deploying developments in future.
Computational modelling, ability to generate accurate solutions, mathematical modelling and representation of various processes and systems are some of the key tools and resources of this domain. However, the person working as Engineering Technologists should be proficient in speaking, reading and writing in English with effective communication skills. The occupation involves professional use of information that is maintained and managed with utmost reliability and authenticity. An Engineering Technologist cannot retain on improper use of time and improper management of priorities. The key attributes like management of professional networking and relations amongst colleagues of the system (Refer Appendix).
Engineering Associate is a different occupation that requires multiple skills apart from core engineering principle understanding. This occupation demands simplified understanding towards maintenance of systems with effective dissemination of occurring problems. The codes of practise, legislations and safety measures included in the profession are a must to be followed by the Engineering Associate. Systematic designing of the processes involved in system, administering of relevant tasks and developing an expert insight for the processes are some of the key engineering abilities that an Engineering Associate should portray. However, ethical conduct and accountability for respective responsibility is a must for this occupation.
There is high amount of delegation involved with comprehensive skills to deal with other opinions. Furthermore, professional conduct of an Engineering Associate revolves around life-long learning and consecutive developments. It is important the working team involves lesser conflicts and effective team dynamics. Professional advice and better hold over differences from multiple cultural dimensions are required in developing efficient networks for an Engineering Associate. (Refer Appendix)
The Engineering Manager is a occupational position in engineering field which consists of critical responsibilities and duties towards the system. Their contribution for business strategies associated with engineering is provided by Engineering Manager. A key demand in terms of capabilities is power to seek opportunities which can help in developing engineering initiatives. Further, risk assessment and development of compliance strategies to meet the organisational guidelines are some of the competencies of Engineering Manager. Clients from diverse backgrounds need to be delegated for developing stable relationships so that high quality products and services are delivered with utmost efficiency.
Being a critical position, the Engineering Manager has to have ability to devise a management plan which coordinates and correlates with engineering field systems in the organisation. Deploying management systems and monitoring processes are also a part of this occupation. The quality standards and processes defined in the system for meeting performance requirements are also the business associate information for Engineering Managers (Refer Appendix).
Additional Assessment Services
The clients that require a skills assessment urgently and/or have acquired certain experience in concerned occupation develop their interest in additional assessment services. There are different services which can be applied for by the interested applicants. These are listed as follows:
- Fast Track: The individuals that require urgent completion of skills assessment opt for this service. Stipulated time frame is provided over the website with payment receipt. However, this service is not available during the close down period which might cause delay overtime.
- Online Application Process: The certified documents relevant to PhD and skilled employment need to be submitted in high resolution scanned format through the online portal.
- Assessment of Overseas PhD in Engineering: This service is assessed for those clients that have a PhD degree overseas and whose comparison is made with the Australian PhD formats. Individuals opting for this service have to pay consecutive fees, scanned coloured copies of respective documents, list of doctoral examiners, publications list that were prepared during the degree program and abstract of thesis.
- Relevant Skilled Employment: The clients of this service need to submit coloured scanned copies of relevant documents. These include the primary and secondary ones with information of employer or connecting client. On the basis of these documents, employment period is assessed. The self-employed individuals need to provide evidence of their employment in addition to primary and secondary documents. The different points of consideration will be considered by Engineers Australia under the ANZSCO Classification of Occupations. The final letter shall involve recording of successful and relevant skilled employment assessment.
The general role of a professional engineer involves taking up of initiatives for the engineering programs and projects. Further they have to integrate their activities so that a sustainable, complete and self-sufficient system is formed. Their knowledge from multiple sources helps in resolving complex issues which can be technical or non-technical in nature. Moreover, their specific responsibility is to ensure that every aspect of a project is theoretically and practically in compliance with disciplines of interaction. Often PE has to lead and manage their team for establishing good enterprises. The different elements of engineering application ability include addressing efficiently complex problems with tactics and tools while completing the project. Additionally, certain experiments and planning of projects has to be performed with eventual use of quality management processes and tools.
The engineering technologist is a person who has to have expertise in technological domain. The abilities to adapt and manage in engineering related environment are a must so that responsibilities associated with leading edge projects and services can be executed successfully. The standards and codes of practise associated with a technology have to be followed by the engineering technologist. This individual also has a role of good communicator as all the functions and activities have to be discussed with Professional Engineers and Engineering Associates. The respective technological product should be verified by this individual and respective new developments in the field should be investigated for specific changes. The teams like quality assurance, safety management, operations, project maintenance, etc. have to be lead by engineering technologist.
Investigation of feasibility of a project is a primary task that is executed by engineering associate. Furthermore, functions like performance measurement, scoping, assessment of technical and procedural options, development and designing of technology, etc. are also performed by Engineering Associate. Their role is just not limited to quality assurance or control but also includes documenting of the project and preparing-managing budgets. The skills that are highly recommended for an engineering associate include knowledge of ground engineering principles and sciences. The knowledge to operate varied technical devices and implying learned theories in generic competency shall also help in successfully complying with codes of practise. The Engineering Associates’ occupation is also coined as para-professional in Australia. A common role of EAs is in aircraft maintenance.
Engineering Managers are executives with higher responsibility and commitment towards the enterprise they are functioning for. Their tasks include establishment of budgets, schedules, management of efficiencies in the team, directing the entire team for concerned project towards the goal, etc. Furthermore, they have to work with higher efficiencies so that control measures for cost, safety, compliance of laws and regulations can be achieved. However, certain eligibility criteria and consequent conditions are to be met for grabbing the Engineering Manager position. These include minimum five years of experience as engineering professional, two years of experience as engineering manager and key managerial attributes. It is also important that the applicant of this position should attempt a Relevant Skilled Employment assessment which requires documents like relevant experience certificate and respective company profiles, etc. The evidences for remuneration acquired in past three years and respective formal trainings acquired by candidate are a must. The level of responsibility of an Engineering Manager is quite high and hence verification levels are quite long.
Migration Skills Assessment Booklet. 2017. [PDF]. Available Through:< https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/For-Migrants/Migration-Skills-Assessment/MSA-StepByStep-Guide>. [Accessed on 24th December, 2017].